Further Offense….

Originally, I conceived this little ditty as a vehicle to work on learning rudimentary drum programming. It’s funky. Poppy. And… parts of it are definitely out of my vocal range….

Like the female part….

Which is all that I’ve recorded so far….

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9B299A0275C631E4!366&authkey=!AEKFX89Y-GQx-rU&ithint=file%2cm4a

Like Ivan Allerson always says… this is just practice…. Don’t take it too seriously….

I made up some of the lyrics on the fly, hence the difference. Different parts, too. And… out of my range… especially at the grand finale…. Not a great style for my voice either….

But… I didn’t compose this song as a vehicle to attain world-wide pop acclaim….

This is the first time I’ve recorded vocals down in the basement laboratory I fondly refer to as the Abyss….

Thought I was set… but knew I would run into difficulties….

So… I spent much of the morning tracking down patches and drivers… and connecting and reconnecting equipment…. Rebooting…. Reconnecting….

Worked on sound reinforcement… with my acoustic guitar… and a couple of different mics and amplifiers… fiddled with the preamp…. Got a reasonable sound that I thought I would try to record… and hear how it sounded….

But… that was a different song… and I decided to see how the sound reinforcement set up worked for vocals…. So… I started working on this song…. And… had to work through the software issues….

And… the transfer issues…. I originally composed the main elements of this song on my iMac Pro. Decided to switch to a different iMac that runs faster. And… has all of the equipment hooked up to it. But… did NOT have the drivers installed….

Garageband recognized the Yamaha MG10XU 10 channel mixing console… but not the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 interface… and the Yamaha MG10XU had no sound coming out when I played the recording…. So… tried to download the driver for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24… but that wouldn’t install…. So… downloaded and updated Mac OS… which is always a very scary proposition… because that’s how I wound up having to by the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 in the first place: Mac OS 10.x no longer supported my Mbox2 which I had been using….

Then it was like magic! The driver for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 installed… and I could hear what I previously recorded just fine… though I can’t find my good earphones…. But… the sound reinforcement set up… ain’t reinforcing the sound anywhere close to adequately…. Way, way, WAY too mellow…. For this or any other song….

So… I just dropped all of the fancy acoustical sound reinforcement set up to add ambiance, etc. Switched off the amps. Unplugged the XLR cable from the Shure SM81-LC. And plugged that XLR cable into the Shure SM58 and plugged that straight into the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24…. Went straight DI.

And then… I accessed the pull down menu from Garageband… and wandered through the tonal settings for microphone inputs… and chose Dance Vocal…. Which greatly increased the volume… in addition to generating tone…. Which probably would have fixed the initial problem….

So… if I want straight… unaltered… vocals… I probably need more expensive DAW software….

But this is just practice…. Not an attempt to record professional quality audio….

Need to rerecord the vocals anyway. Add the male vocal part. Maybe decide on the lyrics….

This is the highest quality version, so it may not stream too terribly well….

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Further Offense….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s